We use cookies and similar technologies that are necessary to operate the website. Additional cookies are used to perform analysis of website usage. By continuing to use our website, you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please read our Cookies Policy.

Closing this modal default settings will be saved.

High Court Can Nullify Orders of Conviction in Cheque Bounces: Allahabad HC

Owner's Profile

Staff Writer, TLR

Published on July 14, 2023, 17:41:00


HC , Cheque Bounces

Cheque bounces in India might not always result in a jail term for the concerned person, thanks to the Allahabad High Court's reasoning that the High Court can use S. 482 of CrPC, which is the section used to quash the First Information Reports. If there has been a subsequent compromise of the case by the contesting parties, the High Courts now have the power to nullify the order of conviction.

The bench also added that this would not facilitate any convict escape justice since this is a distinct offense, opening up avenues for amicable settlement. The accused petitioner had moved the High Court, in the backdrop of the amicable settlement, to set aside the prison sentence.