Make Changes to a Birth Certificate Even if You Are No Longer Living in UAE

Expert consultation can help navigate complex legal requirements and avoid common delays

Owner's Profile

Rakeshh Kumar SV

Published on June 17, 2024, 12:16:46


birth certificate in aue

Amending a birth certificate in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) can be a daunting process, especially for former residents who are no longer living in the country.

However, recent updates in the UAE's administrative procedures have streamlined the process, making it more accessible. This article outlines the necessary steps, provides expert insights and directs you to essential resources.

Understanding the Process

The UAE’s Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) is the primary authority responsible for issuing and amending birth certificates. The procedure involves several steps, including documentation, notarisation and authentication by various government bodies.

Steps to Amend a Birth Certificate

1 Gather Required Documents:

  •  Original birth certificate
  •  Valid passport of the applicant
  •  Proof of residence (if applicable)
  •  Marriage certificate of the parents (if the change pertains to parentage details)
  •  Any other supporting documents relevant to the change

2 Complete the Application

Applications can be initiated online through the MoHAP e-services portal. The online application form requires detailed information about the existing birth certificate and the specific amendments needed.

  • First, visit the website mohap.gov.ae
  • Type “Modification of birth certificate details” in the search box.
  • Click on "Start Service"
  • The user will have to enter the Qaid number and fill in all the required information.
  •  Documents must be notarised, attested and then submitted.

3 Payment

The user has to make a fee payment of Dh65 or Dh130 (for English and Arabic), which includes the courier charges.

4 Follow-Up

After submission, it is crucial to follow up with MoHAP to ensure the application is processed smoothly. This can be done through their customer service channels or the online portal.

Expert Opinions

According to Shulka Chavan, Legal Associate, NYK Law Firm in Dubai, "the process of amending a birth certificate while residing outside the UAE has become more efficient with the digitisation of many services. However, applicants must ensure all documents are correctly attested to avoid any delays. It is necessary to seek legal assistance when needed".

Ms Fareen Fathima, an immigration consultant, adds: "Former residents should be aware of the specific requirements for document attestation, as these can vary depending on the country. Engaging with a professional who understands both UAE law and the legalities in the applicant’s current country can be beneficial."

For any enquiries or information, contact ask@tlr.ae or call us on +971 52 644 3004Follow The Law Reporters on WhatsApp Channels.