
Meta Settles First US School District Lawsuit Over Youth Mental Health Claims Linked to Social Media
Kentucky district drops case ahead of trial as more than 1,200 school systems continue legal battle against major tech platforms.
Meta Platforms has settled the first US case scheduled for trial seeking to make social media companies pay for costs that school districts say they incurred in tackling a mental health crisis allegedly fuelled by online platforms.
The agreement fully resolves a lawsuit brought by Breathitt County School District in eastern Kentucky, following earlier settlements by co-defendants Alphabet’s YouTube, Snap and TikTok. The case had been scheduled for trial on June 15 in federal court in Oakland, California.
Breathitt is among roughly 1,200 school districts pursuing similar claims. Its case had been selected as a bellwether, or test case, for the wider litigation.
“We’ve resolved this case amicably and remain focused on our longstanding work to build protections such as Teen Accounts that help teenagers stay safe online, while giving parents simple controls to support their families,” a Meta spokesperson said.
In a statement, the plaintiffs’ lawyers confirmed that Breathitt’s claims against Meta had been resolved, adding that “our focus remains on pursuing justice for the remaining 1,200 school districts that have filed cases.”
Lawsuit Sought More Than $60 Million
Breathitt, a small rural district in Appalachia, accused the companies of designing their platforms to keep young users hooked, contributing to anxiety, depression and self-harm among students, while leaving schools to manage the consequences.
The lawsuit sought more than $60 million to cover the costs of addressing the impact of social media on students’ mental health and to fund a 15-year mental health programme aimed at reducing the problem. It also sought a court order requiring the companies to modify their platforms to reduce addictive features.
More than 3,300 lawsuits alleging addiction-related harms are pending against the social media companies in California state courts. Another 2,400 cases — including those brought by school districts, individuals, municipalities and states — have been consolidated in California federal court.
The companies have denied the allegations and say they take extensive measures to keep teenagers and young users safe on their platforms.
In a landmark trial, a Los Angeles jury on March 25 found Meta and Alphabet’s Google negligent for designing social media platforms deemed harmful to young people, awarding a combined $6 million to a 20-year-old woman who said she became addicted to social media as a child.
Breathitt’s case had been closely watched as an early test of the school districts’ claims in the sprawling litigation. Judges and lawyers often use bellwether verdicts to assess the potential value of remaining claims and guide settlement negotiations.
Breathitt is a small district serving about 1,600 students across six schools, according to federal data, but the litigation also includes much larger districts. DeKalb County, Georgia, which educates more than 90,000 students, has said it is seeking up to $4.3 billion in future mental health costs. The Los Angeles Unified School District and the New York City Public Schools — together serving more than 1.2 million students — have also filed lawsuits.
The second phase of a separate trial brought by the state of New Mexico, which raises similar claims, is expected to conclude soon.
For any enquiries or information, contact ask@tlr.ae or call us on +971 52 644 3004. Follow The Law Reporters on WhatsApp Channels.